Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cynical Indian

Last 60 hours have been quite something! I have traveled, put complete trust in something I don't believe in, met up with an old friend and had a wild time. Had the most embarrassing moment of my life ;) enjoyed a road trip. Watched movies that i missed in the past few months for various stupid reasons, finally ate at NM eat street after trying to go there for the past year. Ofcourse, either Marine drive of Juhu had to figure in this jolly ride, this time Juhu it was.
Standing in the knee deep water at midnight that day, with my friends standing on dry sand at a distance, my eyes reached some place, some place beyond the horizon, some place beyond where my eyes could reach, someplace deep within me.
Its something to do with the attitude of we Indians. All of us love our nature, the beauty of it, proud of us being educated youths. We go mad when we see someone litter our surroundings, someone educated doing it just boils us all the more. But then, depending on the company we are in, we too indulge in screwing up our surroundings!
It was surprising that "There is no shame in dirtying the place, but there is all the shame in the world when it comes to cleaning it up!" Pretty disgusting i say! One second we show disgust at someone dirtying a place, then we are party to the holy act of spoiling it more! Its just a cycle! The Indian of this generation as an individual is honest about few things, but is conscious when it comes to implementing it in public. Well it is not just to do with keeping the surroundings clean.
Lets come to the next surprising thing, or, should I say, something that surprises me.
I have a reputation for bad jokes, well, I can accept it. My jokes are really bad. :)
My jokes make a fool out of me. Make people feel sick and keep wondering, "Hmm, what could be the next thing he says!". Then I tried to find out what kinda jokes people like.
Its funny, that its just not funny, atleast not for me. Its the jokes people make on others. Jokes people say about others behind their backs and ridicule them and make statements about them. Most of these statements are insulting and I just cant figure out what is so funny, about say, the posture of a person, their height, their speech, their dressing sense, or for that matter, their personality!! What I really find funny, black humour of sorts really, is that people just laugh at these 'jokes', but never really appreciate it when the joke is on them. So how do you really find such jokes funny.
One more thing I have observed, is that these people who make 'jokes' are opinionated bastards who make random statements and and cock sure in their belief that people will listen and value their words! To an extent, aren't we supposed to point our fingers at people who encourage such sick jokers. Heart of hearts, people dont like these jokes, but end up laughing at them just to be party to 'fun' at that moment. In is sad that we feed these bloody jokers with encouragement in these short burst of laughter. Well, they will never changes, coz they will always find someone who will laugh at their jokes. And when they are done with cracking jokes with these people, they will always find someone new to say these jokes on people.

It really takes balls to make a joke about someone in front of them, and it takes a person who truly appreciates humour to laugh at himself. But the 'funny' people i invariably find myself stuck with, enjoy the jokes they make people about others and take immediate offence when the joke is on them. Or when someone tries to draw a line, a joke is made out of that too.
There is a THIN LINE of difference between imitating people and mocking people. Some people imitate, and these people also imitate good things. Those who mock, well, all I can say is, aaarrrgghh!
I must say, I am satisfied at joking about myself, and making people laugh about my jokes, as long as I consciously don't make an effort to make someone laugh by demeaning someone. Jokes, it needs a new definition if you ask me.
I say this is a problem with an Indian attitude coz, the majority of us is in the fringe zone, who knows what is right, who believes in what is right, but just drift away from doing the right thing, coz the once who dont do the right thing are doing what is wrong and shamefully a popular act.
At least we are in the fringe zone and we have it in us, to do what it takes to stop these suckers, who laugh at the little- not so perfect - things about others, when they fail to realize they are total suckers and their soul is filled with filth.
Just stop feeding them with encouragement!
My limited readers surely wont make any difference to the world, I know this. But I hope it makes a difference to the small world we live in, the limited space we share. Lets just keep it simple when we appreciate our surroundings and actually keep it clean when we say it should be clean! Keep ourselves clean by not making fun of others, definitely not behind their backs!

1 comment:

  1. “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” This is so true! today whn we sit back n recollect memories- all i remember is how ppl made me feel, thr were times whn a few stood by me whn i was shattered, while a few made fun of it, a few were waiting for me to stumble so they cud laugh at me, but ive been lucky to hav a few who've always been wid me to lift me whn i stumbled n to celebrate my smallest accomplishments! n today my dearest ones r those who made me feel good! At the same time, once close ones are not so dear now coz of a few instances whr they hurt n made me FEEL ruthless!
    “Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand.”
    Having said that, if we can't make someone feel good, lets make it a point atleast not to hurt anyone in anyway for that matter, spread a smile across, else PLEASE STAY SILENT! coz NONE OF US HAV RIGHT TO HURT ANYONE!.“Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
    "Feelings are everywhere - be gentle.”

    Wonderful post shannu! seems simple, but we really need to think on these lines!

    Cheers :)
    Keep up d good wrk :)

    ReplyDelete